Frequently Asked Question
How to enable Remote Desktop (RDP) Access to W10 PC
Last Updated 5 months ago
- If your PC is running Windows 10 Home then this facility is missing. You need to upgrade to W10 Pro via purchase from Windows Store: windows-10-upgrading-home-to-pro
- On the Start Menu type in advanced system and select View Advanced System Settings.
Click on the Remote tab and select Allow ...... and click OK.
- Make sure that your PC does not go into sleep mode by searching for Power and Sleep Setting
- Make sure that your login password is secure. Use a complex password. Your PC and its contents is at serious risk.
- Set port forwarding on your Router to point to your Remote Desktop computer. We would recommend using a non-standard port for RDP. This all might well need to be done by your IT support.
- Recommended: Set lockout policy for false attempts: Set to a value like 5. This too might need IT support.
- At the remote PC, search for remote desktop connection. Enter the public IP or domain of where your PC is located. If you have set up to use a non-standard port then add the port number after the ip/domain, separated by a colon.